Death registration has been done in the State of Jharkhand as per Birth & Death Registration Act, 1969 and Jharkhand Birth & Death Registration ruling, 2009. Accordingly every Death is to be reported and registered within 21 days at the place of its occurrence in the prescribed reporting forms.
When a Death has taken place in a house
Head of the house or nearest relative of the head of the House or oldest person in the family or Anganwadi Sewika or Chawkidar are also responsible to inform the concerned registrar for the event.
When the Death has taken place outside the house
- When occurrence took place in a Sadar Hospital/Sub-Divisional Hospital/Medical College Hospital/Referral Hospital people will get certification of Death from the same concern as the deputy superintendent of the hospitals and officers In-charge of Referral Hospital and PHCs are denoted as registrar for their jurisdiction.
- In Maternity Home and other like Institution: Medical officer In-charge is responsible to inform the occurrence to concerned registrar and will obtain death certificate from the registrar and hand it over the person. The Medical Officer in-charge can take a self addressed stamp envelop from the attendant of the deceased.
- In a Jail: Jail In-charge is informers.
- In a Dharmshala, Boarding House etc: Person In-charge is informer.
- In a Moving Vehicle: Person In-charge of the Vehicle is informer.
- Found deserted in a public place: Headman of the Village/In-charge of the local police station are informer.
Death Certificates in Jharkhand are issued by the Local Bodies namely Medical College hospital, Sadar Hospital, Sub divisional Hospital, Nagar Nigam, Municipality, NAC, Referral Hospital, PHC, Panchayat and Cantonment Board, within 7 days from the date of receipt of prescribe application form from the applicant. After a short enquiry registrar will register the case and provide the certificate. In case of Death took place in Moving Vehicle, Registration will be done in the first place of halt of the vehicle.
- State: Secretary, Planning and Development Department of Jharkhand Government-cum-Chief Registrar (Birth & Death), Jharkhand - Director, Statistics & Evaluation-cum-Additional Chief Registrar (Birth & Death), Jharkhand - Joint Director, Vital-cum-Joint Chief Registrar (Birth & Death), Jharkhand - Deputy Directory, Vital-cum-Deputy-Chief Registrar (Birth & Death), Jharkhand.
- District and Below
- Deputy Commissioner-cum-District Registrar (Birth & Death)
- District Statistical Officer-cum-Additional District Registrar (Birth & Death)
- Block Development Officer-cum-Additional District Registrar (Birth & Death) Concerned block areas.
- Civil Surgeon-cum-Additional District Registrar (Birth & Death)
Gram Panchayat Sewek-cum- Registrar (Birth & Death), Concerned Gram Panchayat areas.
- Medical officer-cum-Registrar (Birth & Death) Concerned Municipal Corporation
- Medical officer/Executive officer/Special officer/ Chairman/Deputy Chairman-cum-Concerned Registrar of Municipality/N.A.C
- Deputy Superintendent-cum- Registrar (Birth & Death) Concerned
- Medical College Hospital, Sub divisional Hospital Medical Officer Incharge-cum- concerned referral hospital
- All Medical Officer Incharge of P.H.Cs and Additional P.H.Cs
- Application on a prescribe form.
- Proof of Death of the person in respect of whom the certificate is required.
- Affidavit specifying place, date and time of death of the person.
- All documents to be attested by a Gazetted Officer.
Note: After one month to maximum one year of the event an affidavit may be asked by the authority as per the situation.
Form for Death Certificate: Click Here
Criteria Used for deciding the case
It is on the Registrar's Satisfaction to register the case.
Fee for obtaining the copies of certificate
No fee is required for certificate but every additional copy cost Rs 5/- each.
Rule for registering after due date
There is a prescribed rule and fee structure for late registration and submission of required documents, after that permission from a competent authority has to be obtained.
Procedure of Late Registration
- A Death can be registered after 21 days but before 30 days of occurrence on payment of late fee.
- A Death can be registered after 30 days but before 1 year of occurrence after obtaining written permission from the Registrar and on payment of late fee.
- A Death can be registered after 1 year of occurrence after obtaining an order from the Executive Magistrate deputed for this job by S.D.O and on payment of late fee.
Fee Structure for Registration
- Registration within a period of 21 days of occurrence - No fee
- Registration after 21 days but up to 30 days of occurrence - Rs.1/-
- Registration after 30 days but up to 1 year of occurrence - Rs.1/-
- Registration after 1 year of occurrence - Rs.1/-
Changes in the Certificate
Changes in the certificate can be undertaken at same registration unit on a written request along with an affidavit and undertaking from the informant.
Normally you should be getting a response within 21 days.
For any other information please contact:
Director, Statistics and Evaluation,
Engineer's hostel No. 1,
Near Golchakkar, Dhurwa, Ranchi
Contact No.: 0651-2400877